Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving in Colorado

We’re back from our trip to Colorado for Thanksgiving and we had a great time! It was certainly a different experience to have to travel home for a holiday - much different than driving down the highway for a couple of hours.

We left town on Wednesday night after Dave was able to leave work and landed shortly after midnight in Colorado. There was a small hiccup with Dave’s luggage and it didn’t come up the baggage carousel, but luckily the airline delivered it to my parents’ house before we woke up in the morning so all was well.

We spent Thanksgiving day at Dave’s parents’ house where his uncle was visiting from the mountains and his grandma, grandpa, and cousin were visiting from Illinois. We had a yummy meal (turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, rolls, green beans), caught up on each other’s happenings, and enjoyed hanging out until it was time for us to head back to my parents’ house.

Thanksgiving

We did get up to do some black Friday shopping, but only for a couple of essential items that we needed and knew we could get for cheap. I got a wireless mouse for $10 (mine died a few weeks ago), Dave got a Bluetooth for $5 (in CA you have to use a hands free earpiece to talk and drive), we picked up a webcam for my grandma (who we set up with Skype before we realized she thought she could use her digital camera to video chat), and Dave got a video game and some headphones. So overall we were out from 7:00-8:00am and spent less than $35. I’d say that was a pretty successful shopping trip!

Later on Friday we took a trip to the Denver Zoo with my family. We always have fun looking at the animals and walking around and Dave had fun taking pictures.

Zoo

On Saturday morning we went to breakfast with Brianna & Rob. Brianna’s parents live across the street from my parents so it was easy to get together for a quick break from the family. We went to Snooze for one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had. If you haven’t been to a Snooze restaurant, you need to go. I’ve never been disappointed with anything I’ve ordered there, including this great meal. Yum!

Later that night we had another Thanksgiving meal at my parents’ house with some of my mom’s extended family - my uncle and my aunt & uncle who are also from California. I think I gained five pounds after this meal. My aunt made this AWESOME pumpkin soup and we also enjoyed bean bundles, turkey, beef, cranberry Jell-O salad, mashed potatoes, and deviled eggs. That’s enough to sent anyone into a food coma. Yummmm.

On Sunday we tried to take some family photos with my camera and remote but its hard to get such a big group together and smiling and in/out of the sun. We did manage to get a few good ones of the group and then I took a few fun photos of folks in pairs. They came out pretty well!

Family

We had lunch with Dave’s Grandma Kay on Monday and then we spent some time looking through some of her scrapbooks from 1990-1992 and I found this gem:

This is Dave’s 10th birthday cake - the Lochness Monster. First, how cute is it that he wanted a Lochness Monster cake for his birthday?!? And second, how awesome is my mother-in-law for making this cake?!? It was so much fun to look through those books and see so many photos of Dave when he was little :-)

Monday night we hopped on a plane back to California and headed home. It was a good trip, but it is nice to be back at our new “home”. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!