Monday, August 29, 2011

California Living: Making new friends

If you missed it, we are moving to California! While I am excited about the move, I have some questions about California living that I need your help to figure out. If you live in California, have lived in California, have moved across the country or just have some awesome insight, I need your help. Today's topic: making new friends.

We are moving to a place where we know no one and our closest relatives are three and five hours away. We're not very familiar with the area and aren't sure where to plug in to groups of people with whom we share interests. We plan to find a church and I would like to join a bible study, and Dave will hopefully meet some people at his new job. But beyond that we really don't know how we are going to meet new people and make new friends. Of course if you want to move out to the bay area with us, or if you already live there, I will be your friend ;-)

Have you ever seen that episode of How I Met your Mother where Marshall and Lily are trying to make new couple friends but they are a little too intense and they end up scaring off potential new friends? Yeah, we're afraid of acting like those people. (I tried to find a clip of the episode where Marshall emails a video montage of pictures and a song to the couple they spent an evening with to make my point, but no luck. Sorry.)

What is your advice for making new friends? Where should we go to make potential friends? How do we not act needy or too intense (which I feel like we might do since we really won't have anyone to make plans with except the first people we meet)? What activities do you suggest we do with people we want to get to know better? Wow, this is starting to sound like dating... ha! But clearly, I could use some advice. Please help!

1 comment:

  1. I would say- pray!
    God knows your needs and the needs of others that you could be a blessing to. Ask Him to put you in line with the right people ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!