Sunday, December 5, 2010

Let Go

Today’s #reverb10 prompt: Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?

This year, I would like to think that I let go of control in some areas of my life. Yes, some. I (and many members of my family) are control freaks and it is really hard for me to feel like I don’t have a firm grasp on everything that is happening in my life. This lovely character trait has certainly contributed to my anxiety with Dave’s graduation.

I want to know when he will be done, what job Dave will get, where (geographically) Dave will get a job, when we will buy a house, when we will take our dream trips to Europe and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, when will we have kids, etc., etc.

But this year, I have relinquished the idea that I have any sort of control over these things.

I have no control over when Dave will graduate. I have no control over what job he will get whenever he will graduate. I have no control over any of these things. So I let it go… and gave it to God. I need to trust tat God has control and he won’t let me fall or give me anything I can’t handle. There is a plan for our lives, and I don’t get to have control over it. It’s hard for me to accept it, but I’m doing my best.

Dave will graduate. Dave will get a job. We will buy a house. We will go on an couple awesome vacations. We will have kids. But the details are up to the big guy, and it will be Ok that I don’t have control of any of it and that I let go of control of all of it.

"I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted." - Job 42:2 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!