Thursday, March 11, 2010

Quilting

There's a huge fundraiser (that I am in charge of planning) for the nonprofit I work at on Saturday and one of our board members donated three quilt tops for the silent auction. The quilt tops are very nice, but are just the tops and need to be finished. I thought that auctioning off three essentially unfinished projects might not sell that well so I worked quickly to come up with a solution.

I went to a local quilt shop to purchase the supplies needed to finish the quilts so that they might sell better at the auction. I had met the owner of the quilt shop before and she is such a nice woman. I explained to her my situation and asked what I would need to buy to finish the projects. After some measurements, puzzled looks and more measurements she determined the sizes of the quilts and started in on telling me what was needed to finish them.

Wow! I never knew there was so much involved in quilting! I heard about everything from different types of fabric and patterns to batting, backing fabric and sewing styles. I have since determined that quilting is too intricate and time consuming for me. There are many things I am good at and now I'm pretty certain that quilting will never be one of them. I do, however, have a new appreciation for quilts and the people who are talented enough to make them.

After an hour of learning, picking out backing fabric and admiring the example quilts around the store, I left with everything I needed to finish the quits. Let me just say, those three "quilt making kits" will be great for those creative types to bid on at the silent auction... just not for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!