Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Trip to Texas… yeehaw!

This past weekend my mom, my sister (Kelly), and I took a trip to Texas to go to one of Daché’s (my future sister-in-law) bridal showers and to visit with Curtis before the wedding. We arrived on Friday and went to visit Curtis’ office at Baylor University. We had lunch at Baylor in a dining hall modeled after the Great Hall at Hogwart‘s (a la Harry Potter) which I thought was super fun, but I guess I’m just a nerd like that.

Later on Friday we met up with Daché and went out to dinner at Chuy’s, a local tex-mex restaurant. On Saturday we went to the bridal shower with Daché, her mom and sister. It was a beautiful shower hosted by seven of Daché’s mom’s church friends who were just such sweet and welcoming women, complete with beautiful southern accents. We certainly experienced some southern hospitality! They had such a nice spread of quiche, fruit, muffins, Russian tea cakes and cupcakes with cute Curtis & Daché decorations. We ate food, opened presents and then the whole group prayed over their relationship. We had a great time!

After the shower we went to Daché’s final dress fitting and managed to fit in a quick trip to the Dr. Pepper museum for an authentic Dr. Pepper float; one of my favorite Texas activities! Yum! We went back to Curt’s house and ate hors d’oeuvres and watched a movie before heading out to dinner.

On Sunday we went to Curt’s church to watch him perform in the worship band. The message from the pastor was perfect for my life. Isn’t it funny how God gives you exactly what you need even when you’re not where you usually are? That’s good stuff.

After church we went to Fuddruckers for lunch before packing up and heading to the airport. Here’s where the fun began. When we got to the airport our flight to Dallas was delayed. We were worried that we may miss our connecting flight back to Denver but were assured that we would still make it in plenty of time. We boarded the plane but on the way to the runway the brakes had some problems and the pilot stopped the plane. It was determined that there may be mechanical issues and that they didn’t feel comfortable flying in the plane so we were all escorted off and had to walk back to the terminal. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled the airline cared enough not to let us fly in a potentially broken plane, it was just frustrating that we were now going to miss our connecting flight and would get home later than planned.

We were re-booked on a 5:40 flight to Dallas to catch a 6:55 flight to Denver. Then the 5:40 flight was delayed. Again, we were told we could still make it to the Denver flight in time so we kept our fingers crossed as we finally took off towards Dallas. We landed in Dallas at 6:37 and waited impatiently for the plane door to open so we could make the next flight. We grabbed our bags and ran like bats out of hell towards the DFW airport skylink to the terminal our flight was leaving from. The tram arrived at the terminal we needed to be at and we ran as fast as we could and arrived at the gate at 6:54. But the plane had left without us.

The next flight to Denver was to leave at 9:40 so we had to hang out in the airport until then. Mom and I ate dinner while Kelly worked on homework. When it was finally time to board the flight to Denver we were all exhausted and at the end of our emotional ropes, but we were so excited to be going home. It was a loooong day of traveling for all of us and we were certainly glad to get home, even if it was after midnight when we got there! It was great to spend some more time with Curtis and Daché before the wedding and it was great to spend some more time with both Mom and Kelly during our travels. I can’t believe that next time I see Curtis and Daché it will be only a couple of days before they get married!



  1. Glad you made it back safe! Just so you know, I can't see some of those pictures ;(


Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!