Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Appreciate

Today's #reverb10 prompt: Appreciate. What's the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?

I truly appreciate having a job and all of the things it affords me - a roof over my head, food on the table, clothes on my back, a car to get me where I need to go, and the list goes on and on.

Every day through my job I see people who have nothing. No job, no home, no health care, no food, no support and nowhere to turn. These people are so desperate for someone to just listen to them and try to help them. I see people who were hard-working and successful but were then laid off over a year ago and have still not found work - and they want to work. The have lost unemployment benefits and the lifestyle they used to live. They are now sleeping on couches at friends and family's houses or sleeping in shelters or in parks. They are having to utilize the food bank and local missions who provide meals. They may be in pain due to a medical issue that they can no longer afford (or can't afford insurance) to treat.

Every day I am grateful I don't have to go through the things our clients go through.

I am grateful for a job, and even more so, a job that allows me to help other people. We may not have much, but praise God because we have what we need and even a little extra. Unfortunately, not everyone can say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!