Sunday, October 30, 2011

Deliciously Vegan Fridays

For years I have been trying to live a healthier lifestyle. I’ve exercised, eaten well, took my vitamins, and have done a number of other interesting things all in the name of “being healthy”. So far, nothing has stuck - at least not for more than a couple of months at a time. I have been looking at other ways to be healthier and for some reason I keep hearing things about being vegan. Everywhere I look I seem to come across more and more things leading back to a vegan diet. Hmmm…

So I decided to really look into what this was all about. Veganism is basically eliminating all animal products from your diet including meat, eggs, milk, cheese or anything else that comes from an animal. The focus is on consuming only things that are plant-based. Some people take it as far as not using any products (clothing, toiletries, household goods) made from animal products. People have different reasons for choosing a vegan diet and/or lifestyle - for dietary, ethical, or environmental reasons. But there is actually some great health-related benefits which come from a vegan diet.

Since a vegan diet consists of only plant-based items, foods have fewer calories, less cholesterol, higher fiber, and less fat. Vegan diets can promote weight loss, increase your energy, reduce body odor (really?), and make you hair and nails stronger. Of course I don’t know if all of that is true, but I don’t see the harm in trying it out.

Dave and I have talked about it and we have decided to try making at least one vegan meal a week. I am not claiming to be a vegan, only to be eating a vegan meal or two each week for the health benefits. I love steak and hamburgers and bacon, I love eggs and cheese and yogurt, and I will continue to eat those things. I guess I could be called a casual vegan. We just think that eating at least one meal a week that is higher in fiber and has less calories and fat is a good thing for us, and that following vegan recipes to achieve this will work for us.

So, I am introducing…

Deliciously Vegan Fridays!

Every Friday I will post a vegan recipe that we tried in the past week and host a link up for others who had a vegan meal (for whatever reason motivates them) to share their recipes. My intent is to 1. hold myself accountable for making a vegan meal each week, 2. to share recipes among other people who choose to follow a vegan diet (however strict or casual and for whatever reason), and 3. for fun!

If you are interested in joining me in preparing a vegan meal a week, or if you are a hard-core vegan, or somewhere in between, check back here on Fridays. I will post a vegan recipe and host a link up for anyone else who wants to share a vegan recipe they have tried. Be sure to include ingredients, directions, credit if you found the recipe online, and your review! And feel free to use the Deliciously Vegan Fridays image above in your post (just copy the image location into your blog or grab the button in the side bar).

Happy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. You should look at these cook books (one here, more on amazon). Dave will love them and ask for more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!