Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Starting a new chapter

I have always had a passion for nonprofit organizations and helping those who couldn't help themselves and it was my goal to work for one in some sort of PR capacity once I graduated form college. Imagine my surprise when my very first job was working as the event/volunteer coordinator for a nonprofit organization.

It was a new position in the organization and I was told that I could set the bar for what the position would be. Being who I am, I wanted to set the bar high and took it as a personal challenge to do the very best work that I could to benefit the organization and the people it served. I worked hard, revamped the volunteer program, began to take on new tasks such as writing the newsletter, starting MySpace, Twitter and Facebook accounts for the organization, writing press releases, editing the website, etc. and eventually every activity I ended up trying out became part of my job. The volunteer program grew, I was doing an array of new job duties and eventually I became so busy that it was decided to split my position into two. I became the event/marketing manager (another brand new position) and a separate volunteer coordinator was hired. I think I achieved my goal in setting the bar pretty high.

I have seen and experienced a lot over the past four years at that organization. I've been there for the good days and the bad days, I was given the ability to follow through on a few of my crazy event ideas, I've seen a total of four supervisors come in and out of the position (some good to work with some more frustrating to work with), I've grown my skills and abilities, I've been pushed to my emotional limits, I've met some fantastic and interesting people, I've learned a lot about business, I've seen co-workers go through hard times, I had some fun and I've also had some of the most trying times of my life.

But it's time for a change.

I've accepted a position as volunteer/special event coordinator at another nonprofit organization - another new position where I once again am challenged to set the bar high. My first day will be May 24th. While it is sad and kind of scary to leave behind the job and organization I've known for nearly four years, the only job I've had since I graduated from college, I am excited and re-energized by the opportunity that lies ahead of me.

I will be supporting another cause close to my heart, the staff members there are overwhelmingly warm and welcoming, I will get to meet new people, I will get to implement some new fundraising ideas, I can grow my marketing, PR and event planning skills, I will get to be working closer to home, I may get to eat lunch with my husband every once in a while, I can go home and see Gromit at lunch and I have an opportunity to help a new group of people in need.

So, with God's help and the support of my family and friends I am embarking on this new journey; a new chapter in my professional career and personal development. Ready or not, here I come!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the new job. How exciting and nerve wracking all at once!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!