Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The flood of '09

So 2009 isn't off to the good start that I thought it was. First I broke my toe and now this...

Dave texted me early on in the day saying that he thought our mini-fridge in the dining room (or rather, our dining nook since I hardly think that the 6 foot x 8 foot cutout of the living room qualifies as a whole other room) was leaking because there was a wet spot on the floor. He said he moved the fridge and put a towel down where it was wet to soak up some water and left for work.

Around lunchtime, Dave went back to our apartment to check on the water situation and found that the majority of our dining nook was wet with water. He called maintenance and after some further investigation they had concluded that our neighbor's water heater broke, was leaking and flooded under the shared wall and into our dining nook.

I came home from work to find this:








The carpet is ripped up, two industrial fans are blowing under the carpet to dry it and the sub-flooring, a dehumidifier is running, my dining room furniture and contents of my hutch are all over the apartment and the carpet is saturated, dirty and smells musty. The only good news is that our mini-fridge, which we also refer to as our beer fridge, is not leaking or damaged and the contents inside are still cold... and thank goodness because I sure needed one after all of this!

2 comments:

  1. I am SO glad your beer fridge is not damaged! :) We refer to ours as the "drink frige" in the garage. I highly recommend upgrading! :) I hope your toe feels better and the carpet dries fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! Sounds soggy ... but at least the beer was cold and at least you had a repairman to come and fix it instead of you having to. But, still it stinks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!