Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Why you should always wear your seat belt

It was a foggy morning in Northern Colorado and visibility was very low. I was driving east into the town I work in, listening to my most favorite song on my Mp3 player and going 50mph on this highway where the speed limit is 65mph (it was foggy so I decided to drive slower). I found some clear jelly shoes at Target on Sunday and I was excited to be wearing them since it was supposed to be a nice day today. Then, out of nowhere, this pickup truck begins to pull onto the highway right in front of me. I slam on my brakes hit the horn and swerve but he was too close. The front end of my car slammed into his front passenger side wheel well - my airbags deployed and my car spun around and I don't remember much until I realized what had happened and noticed that my car was rolling backwards, the back end now facing south. I put the car in park and turned off the engine. I was in shock. What had just happened? The driver of the truck I hit came running out to see if I was ok. Adrenaline was pumping through my body and I didn't really feel anything. I immediately looked around for my cell phone; I found it and called Dave. Within seconds of talking to him I began to cry. What had happened finally hit me and I was scared. A police officer was driving two cars behind me and I saw him pulled over on the side of the road on his cell phone so I knew the police would be on their way. I called work then my daddy just to let them know what happened.

The firemen checked me over. I was bruised, but seemed to be ok. An ambulance was really far away so they suggested that Dave take me to the ER just to be fully checked out. I filled out paperwork for the state patrol and towing company, cleaned out my car and then watched as they towed it away. The officer told me that the accident wasn't my fault and that I just needed to call my insurance company to report the accident and get the ball rolling on my claim. Everything was settled with me so Dave and I drove off to the Fort Collins hospital. A thorough examination and a chest x-ray say I have no broken bones, no punctured lungs and no internal bleeding; I'm just sore, bruised and scraped, mostly from where the seatbelt held me to the seat and the airbag hit me in the face and hand. I would rather have these injuries than have flown through the windshield had I not been wearing my seatbelt.

I'm just lucky to have no serious injuries, that the other driver wasn't hurt, that the other driver's car wasn't damaged, that the accident wasn't my fault, that there were no cars directly behind me, that my husband was able to come and get me, that I have car insurance, that I have medical insurance and that I had nobody else in the car with me.


  1. I am SO glad that you are okay! How scary!! Let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

  2. Sounds like you've got an angel looking out for you. Glad you're OK.


Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!